Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Crickets, Lizards and Dog.... OH MY!!!

My next door neighbors are completely awesome.... (I know I've blogged about them before.) They ALWAYS watch Bailey for us whenever we go anywhere and they never complain about it and always offer to help in any way possible. I would often feel bad because they have family living in Grants, and never ever needed our help with their dog or anything else.

Well.... this has changed. It is their spring break and they are going on vacation with their family and asked us to watch their dog. No problem I thought. They also mentioned that they have lizards. Not an issue... I love lizards, even had a pet salamander when I was a kid and gecko sat for one of my cousins as well.

Well, I didn't realize that lizards ate crickets. I know I'm idiot for not realizing this... but my salamander ate worms and the gecko ate meal worms. Crickets... ugh GROSS. They are soo very disgusting. Luckily there is like this black tube that they go up 'for safety' and then you pull the tube out and shake it in the lizards cage and they fall out.... I guess this is bearable. Still really gross... but bearable. Oh yes, and one of the lizards likes to jump out to the cage... and escape... so you have to be very careful.

So last night was our first experience with all of this... it was also the only time that Ryan would be going with me, because he leaves this morning for a business trip.The crickets and lizards, knock on wood, was not a big deal. Our directions for their dog was to put her outside and then walk in the kitchen so she can't see you, because if she sees you she won't go to the bathroom and then let her back in and do this several times a day. The neighbors also have a brand new ping pong table... so Ryan figures we can play ping pong while we wait for the dog to go to the bathroom. Great Idea! So we head to the basement to play a couple of games of ping pong. While we were playing I could hear the dog outside and that she upset that she wasn't immediately being let back into the house, but figured she would live until I beat Ryan. :)

A couple minutes later I hear the front door open. Ryan and I both freeze. Then I hear the front door shut with a slam. I run. Ryan waits for whoever would be walking through the front door. We hear nothing. Then I kind of giggle... because I didn't know what else to do. And with that sound, the intruder comes barrelling down the stairs towards us. It is the Dog. She somehow got out of the back yard and into the house by the front door. I am still not quite sure how she did all of this, but we figured she deserved to be inside and we headed home.

Yeah... so hopefully my days of doggy and lizard sitting will go by smoothly. I am sure if anything else exciting happens I will blog. :)

2 comments:

dawn said...

how did the dog open the front door?

Sturgy Fam said...

In college I had two swimming turtles 'Sam & Naila' who I inherited after Stephaine Marcrazy moved. They ate crickets. It was a challenge for me to feed them weekly. Yuck!!