I have played since I was 8 years old. I played AYSO when I was little, until high school where I played on my High School Varsity soccer team and I even got offered to play at Eastern, but declined after having a bitter sweet ending to my HS career.
After taking a 3 year hiatus from the sport while I went to college, I took a soccer class my senior year at UNM. I needed an elective credit and thought, what the heck. I am so glad I ended up taking the class because it helped realize how much I really missed playing soccer.
After I graduated and headed to Socorro I walked onto New Mexico Tech’s Women Soccer team. Because their school has such a limited amount of girls they desperately needed players and I was still able to play while not attending school because it was just an Alb. women’s soccer league not a college league. (Not to brag, but I was the one of the top scorers, if not the top scorer for the team in both the seasons I played with them!)
Anyway playing with Tech made me realize I still had the soccer bug that I’ve had since I was little. I just have a major passion for the sport.
When I moved to Grants the people we bought the house from told me I should coach. I was a little timid about it at first because I have never coached before. Our next door neighbors have 3 kids and the dad is in charge of the town's AYSO soccer league. We got to talking about soccer one day and he said that soccer is just getting big in Grants. He says that all the parents are the coaches, including himself, but none of the parents have ever played before so they don’t really know what they are doing. So I gave in.
My only issue was that I work every other Saturday so it would be hard for me to coach my own team since I would miss every other game, but the next door neighbor asked me to be his assistant coach for both his 11 year old son’s soccer team AND his 9 year old daughter’s soccer team.
We start tomorrow and I am soo excited to share my passion for soccer with children who, I’m sure have a passion for learning the sport. I know I did when I was their age! My coaches were like my heroes when I was a little kid and I really looked up to them. I hope my assistant coaching experiences go well and maybe next year I can coach my own team! I just hope those little kiddos don’t know more than I do!
I will keep you updated on how it goes!
Here are soccer pics... One is from my Sr. year in HS, the other is last year with NMT's soccer team Can you find me?




1 comment:
cutie pie #5... awww, miss you.
Post a Comment