Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A New York Experience

New York, The city where they literally never sleep (bars are open until 4:30!), where tall buildings are everywhere and so is fashion and we can’t forget about people! Food is incredible, from their Italian food, their breads, to the black and white cookies or even their incredible gelato. Mmmm… to all.

Just spending some time in the city, completely opened my eyes. The buildings were hard for me to fathom. I come from NM, where I own a very long and wide over 2000 square foot house that sits on over a quarter acre of land. It was soo different for me to see all the houses that are as narrow as my 2 car garage, but three times the height of my house. They have no backyards, well they do, but they consist of a 4 foot by 4 foot concrete slab.




I had many firsts there… I had my first subway rides (my first 4 subway rides to be exact and man do those suck if you have to stand on one with no air conditioning!), my first taxi rides (Boy do they drive like maniacs!), my first black and white cookie, my first real fashion and real shopping experiences (I shopped at few stores where many famous people do! :) ) and this is all in addition to my first big city experience and my first Yankee game experience.

It was rare that people knew where or even what New Mexico was. One of our Cab drivers thanked us for not paying him in Pesos and nobody knows what tortillas are. I asked. My mom’s friend was like, what is that! But she had been to taco bell… but only once. She also hated anything spicy and couldn’t even put pepper on her food. (She is going to hate our wedding buffet… it is Mexican!)

Another thing I noticed, there isn’t a trailer park in sight (not that, that was a bad thing. ) I think it is because trailers would take up too much space in NYC…. I thought it was crazy that people own apartments! Insane and that houses are connected by a wall and they call it a house! Their very own… connected to 2 other houses by a wall… house. Just crazy.

Homeless people are a dime a dozen and have an uncanny ability to fall asleep right next to the biggest crowds of people on Times Square! * remember I have a weird homeless obsession * I even talked to a dude that had my favorite sign (unfortunately it wasn’t too creative because I’ve seen it in Alb. before, but I gave him props for being honest) It read “Why Lie, I just need a beer. Keeping it real” I gave him a thumbs up and told him thanks for keeping it real. He laughed and gave me a thumbs up back! :) lol

Anyway talk about a culture shock. I could NEVER live in NY, although I wouldn’t mind going there for a weekend just to shop in the fashion capital! When Ryan and I got back we took the dogs for a walk in the EMPTY lot (probably 10 acres, if not more) behind our house and I just stopped and looked around. I told Ryan that I was happy to be home where I don’t brush the shoulders of everyone around me, I can see the beautiful sunsets and I can look at the beautiful mountains in the distance!

On an end note,because of my NY experience I am now determined to get myself a somewhat expensive handbag and have been looking since I got back… I couldn’t make up my mind while I was there. And did you know they don’t call a purse a purse… it is a pocket book. I thought that was comical as well. Ok that is it!

1 comment:

Abby Reed said...

Yeah, I love NYC. And, I could definitely live there!